- Insist on the transporters to inform you when they will arrive and be prepared for them. Do not leave animals waiting on board trucks as temperatures can rise quickly on stationary vehicles! Unload them immediately.
- Keep the gradient of the unloading ramp as low as possible. Make sure there are lateral protections to avoid that animals fall off. Anti-slip floor is a must.
As close to 0 degree gradient as possible.
- Build your unloading ramp WITH side protection to avoid animals from falling down or escaping. Build an unloading ramp so that the animal can walk straight off, and not down a steep inclination!
- Make your floors anti-slip- animals find it very scary and can panic and injure themselves if they slip and fall down. They will also avoid moving forward if they do not feel that the floor is safe to walk on
- Animals that arrive seriously injured should NEVER be forced to get up or move. It is unethical and causes serious suffering. Equipment must be available right at the unloading docks to humanely stun the animal where it lies and then slaughter him or her.
- Should your slaughterhouse and local Imam not allow any type of stunning equipment, you must still have a plan in place to perform emergency slaughter without causing an injured animal extra suffering. A drain right at the unloading ramp allows one to slaughter the animal directly on the truck where it lays. NEVER force an injured animal to move.